All sports are good for you, right? True. However, not all sports are easy to play. For instance, if you’re a young, adolescent girl, football might not be the first sport on your list, but tennis should be.
Especially for young girls, tennis offers several health benefits that can help create a happier, healthier, teen.
1. All the vitamin D: Since tennis is typically played in the sun, junior girls tennis is ideal for helping young girls get the right amount of vitamin D. Vitamin D helps control calcium levels in the body which prevents osteoporosis. Just don’t forget to put on a little sunscreen.
2. Improves balance: If there’s one thing we all experience during adolescence, it’s awkward/ clumsiness. While young females might just be growing into their bodies, tennis can actually help support and improve balance, since the game involves so many stops and starts.
3. Increased motor control: Even if you might feel a little awkward in your own body, tennis can help increase your motor control. This is because it involves both gross and fine motor skills – in the arms and legs, and in the small muscles in the hand.
4. Better mood: Adolescence is a great time for girls to begin tennis because it can help greatly improve their mood. Typically doing any type of physical exercise releases the hormone serotonin. Serotonin is a feel good neurotransmitter; the more is released the better you feel. Tennis is a sport where you are constantly moving and never stop, thus plenty of serotonin.
5. It’s stress relieving: There is just something unique about the game of tennis that is more stress relieving than other sports. The back and forth motion of tennis is often compared to a form of meditation and is a great way to relax.